Eduardo focuses his practice in national and international arbitration, international litigation, public international law, private international law and human rights. Throughout his career he has participated in more than 100 arbitration proceedings, acting as arbitrator and counsel. He is member of the list of arbitrators of ICSID initially appointed by the by the President of the Administrative Council and later on by the Republic of Colombia. He is a member of the Governing Board of ICCA and a Member of the Sanctions Board of the World Bank. He is past vice president of the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC and past President of the IBA Arbitration Committee.
- Eduardo Zuleta has been chair, co-arbitrator, sole arbitrator and counsel in international commercial arbitrations under ICC, UNCITRAL, LCIA, IACAC, and ICDR Rules, amongst others, in several jurisdictions worldwide participating in matters involving private and State parties. The covered matters relate to construction, oil & gas, infrastructure, utilities, distribution, contracts for decontamination, commercial contracts in general and project finance.
- Mr. Zuleta has acted as arbitrator in investment arbitration under ICSID – including arbitrations and annulment committees- UNCITRAL and ICC Rules.
- He has acted as counsel to State entities in arbitrations related to the construction of hydroelectric projects. Additionally, he has been counsel to private entities in arbitrations related to the termination of license and supply agreements, infrastructure, telecommunications, and project finance.
- Besides this, he has also acted as counsel to State parties and to private investors in matters related to international treaties for investment protection.
- Mr. Zuleta has also acted as expert witness in international arbitration tribunals in matters related to the validity and enforceability of arbitration clauses and matters of liability and international law.
- He has provided legal advice in international law in matters related, inter alia, to conflict of law rules and principles, application of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties and actions before international commissions and courts in matters related to human rights.
- He has also been counsel for international banks and counsel of sponsors in infrastructure projects related to telephone networks, hydroelectric plants, oil and gas pipelines, roads, acquisition, or sale of oil and gas and mining facilities.
- He was a member of the commission of experts created by the Colombian government to review and amend the arbitration law.
- Universidad del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia. Graduated with honors.
- Iona College, New York, N.Y.
- Courses in international arbitration in the Court of International Arbitration in Paris.
- Master of Laws in Financial Law, Universidad del Rosario, Bogota, Colombia.
- LLM, with Merits, covering commercial and investment arbitration, investment law and law of the treaties, with specialization in International Dispute Resolution, University of London, Queen Mary
Academic and Publications
- Adjunct Professor at Georgetown Law School.
- Codirector del ICC Academy para América Latina.
- Tutor in international arbitration in the program organized by the OAS and the IACAC in several Latin American countries, including Argentina, Chile and Venezuela.
- Training to the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism – Division of Foreign Investments – and to governmental officials at different levels on international arbitration.
- Professor and tutor in the Center of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogota in international arbitration and investment arbitration.
- Invited by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) to participate in experts meeting in “Investment for Development”.
- Invited as lecturer in the University of Miami School of Law in the specialization in International Arbitration.
- Invited as lecturer in New York University School of Law on matters related to investment arbitration.
- Professor and lecturer in an important number of forums in Colombia and abroad on matters related to arbitration, including conferences sponsored by the IBA, GAR, ITA, ICCA, International Court of the ICC.
- Author and Co-author of multiple books and articles related to international arbitration, international law, among others. Some of the publications include:
- “Security for Costs: Authority of the Tribunal and Third-Party Funding”, in “Building International Investment Law – The First 50 Years of ICSID” (Eds) (2015).
- International Jurisprudence, Global Governance and Global Administrative Law, in Practicing Virtue – Inside International Arbitration; David Caron, Stephan Schill, Abby Cohen Smutny, Epaminontas Triantafilou (Eds) (2015)
- Challenges of Creating a Standing International Investment Court Reform of Investor-State Dispute Settlement: In Search of a Roadmap, TDM 1 (2014).
- “Enforcement of Foreign Judgments”, in Louis Garb, Lew Julian (Eds.), Kluwer Law 2014; “Colombia”, in Interim Measures in International Arbitration (L.W. Newman and C. Ong eds.), Juris (2014).
- “Colombia Enacts a New Arbitration Statute,” 32(1) ASA Bull.8 (2014) (with Rafael Rincón);
- El Concepto de laudo arbitral, Universidad del Rosario, (2013);
- Member of the World Bank Sanctions Board.
- Vice-chair of the Steering Committee of the ICC Court Alumni Group.
- Former Vice President ICC Court of Arbitration.
- Was listed in the ICSID panel of arbitrators appointed by the Chairman of the ICSID Administrative Council. Presently listed in the Colombian list.
- Former Member of the Court of Arbitration of LCIA; Appointed member of the panel of arbitrators of CIETAC.
- Appointed member of the panel of arbitrators of CIETAC.
- Member ICCA Governing Board;
- Past Co-Chair, Arbitration Committee International Bar Association (IBA);
- Member of the Advisory Board of NYIAC;
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the Energy Arbitrators List (EAL)
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Center;
- Member panel of arbitrators International Center of Arbitration of British Columbia;
- Member panel of arbitrators of the Center of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá D.C.;
- Member Advisory Board Institute for Transnational Arbitration;
- Former Vice-Chair Institute for Transnational Arbitration;
- Member ICC Latin American Practice Group;
- Past chair Latin American Arbitration Association.
- Member of the American Society of International Law.