Gustavo has worked for more than 35 years in the Oil & Gas and infrastructure sectors as well as in national and international arbitration. He has been an internal and external legal counsel for oil companies for hydrocarbons exploration and exploitation projects in Colombia. He has experience in litigation involving the hydrocarbons and mining sector, particularly in contractual actions and torts, class actions and administrative actions.
- Gustavo focuses his practice on oil law and infrastructure. He has been an internal and external legal advisor for oil companies for hydrocarbons exploration and exploitation projects in Colombia, both onshore and offshore, including large, medium and small oil fields, as well as in the construction and operation of oil and gas pipelines and port terminals and other export systems for hydrocarbons produced.
- He has been advisor to engineering companies in the construction of roads, airports, and railways in Colombia. He has also been leading consultant in the negotiation, execution and liquidation of State contracts for the concession of public services, hydrocarbon exploration, exploitation and transportation contracts, acquisition and sale of oil assets. Currently, he is an external consultant for foreign and national oil and mining companies.
- Gustavo participated in the drafting committee of the model contract for the exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbons in Colombia of the National Hydrocarbons Agency, an entity that he advised as an external legal consultant from 2004 to 2007.
- Gustavo also focuses on the hydrocarbons and mining sector, particularly in contractual and non-contractual compensatory actions, popular actions and contentious administrative actions.
- He has been counsel in several arbitrations, especially in the hydrocarbons and telecommunications sector. He has also been Arbitrator of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogota in commercial matters.
- Additionally, Gustavo has served as Director of the Legal Department of BP
- Exploration Company, as advisor for Latin American and gas Affairs of BP
- International in London (England) and as Legal and Joint Ventures Directives of ELF Aquitaine Colombia S.A.
- Law Degree, Universidad del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia
- Political Science and Public Administration at the Institut d'études politiques, Paris.
- Executive MBA at INSEAD, Fontainebleau.
Academic and Publications
Gustavo has published multiple articles and texts regarding the Mining, Oil and Hydrocarbons sectors, some of these include:
- The Rules of interpretation of exploration and production contracts of the National Hydrocarbons Agency. Found in Antonio Aljure Salame et al, Society State and Law Homage to Alvaro Tafur Galvis, Universidad del Rosario Editorial (2014).
- Abandonment and Dismantling of Petroleum Facilities in Colombia. Found in: Mining and Oil Themes. Mining and Oil Bar Association (2005).
- The transport tax for oil and gas pipelines under the royalty law. Found in: Mining and Oil Issued. Mining and Oil Bar Association (1995).
- Member of the Colombian Academy of Jurisprudence
- Member of the Mines and Petroleum Bar Association
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA), Natural Resources and Energy and Construction Sections.
- Member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiations (AIPN)
- Member of the Rocky Mineral Law Foundation (RMLF)